The Viluppurarn District has lot of tourist attractions. The district has temples, mosques and churches which arc old and famous. Villupuram District was earlier a part of Cuddalore District. It was then bifurcated from Cuddalore and became a separate district on 30th September 1993. Because of this, the history of Villuppuram district closely resembles that of Cuddalore.
The massive fortification walls of Gingee interconnect the three inaccessible hills Krishnagiri Chandragiri, and Rajagiri. The Rajagiri citadel is the highest about 800 ft. in height and the most inaccessible. The 20 meters deep chasm is now connected by a bridge.
Barracks and Stables
A series of low vaulted and arched cells on the western side of the Kalyana Mahal are referred to as the barracks and stables. The Archeological conservation training camp is located here.
This is the largest granary built in stone with a spacious entrance passage. The walls are nearly 3 meters thick. The stucco decora lions outside are typical of the Vijayanagar period. A stone structure with barrel vaulted roof, found on the north-eastern side of the granary, is said to he the Gymnasium.
Sad-At-Ullah Khan Mosque
This mosque was erected by Sad-AtUllah Khan to commemorate his victory over Desingh and the capture of the tort. According to a Persian inscription found here, the mosque is said to have been constructed in 1717 to 1718 AD.
Esalam Built by Rajendra Cholan I class="viluppuramhead" (1012 AD.) the presiding deity is lord Sri Ramanatha Eswarar. The legend found in sanskrit language and in grantha character. Written on the periphery of the seal is as follows, Rajadrajanya Makuta sreni-ratnesu sasanam Etad Rajendra cholasya parakesari varmanah.
Kamalakkanni Amman Temple
This small shrine dedicated to Kamalakkani Amman (Goddess Durga), a local deity, is found on the way to the citadel on Rajagiri Hill. It contains a sacrificial altar and well-preserved mural paintings belonging to the Nayak period.
Mayilam Arulmigu Subramaniya Swami Temple
Mayilam Arulmigu Subramaniya Swami Temple located on a small hillock at Mailam is a famous place of pilgrimage. It is about 32 km from Viluppuram on the Pondicherry - Thindivanam road. The Panguni Uthiram festival held in March - April fascinates a large crowd of devotes from all over Tamil Nadu.
Located to the west of the liner gate of the lower citadel, this temple Contains a remarkable sculpture depicting Lord Krishna playing on the flute with consorts on his tow. A finely polished, broad and smooth slab found in front of the temple is another striking feature.
This was worshipped by special chittars. 7 Jadamuni shapes of pachaimalai are in the back side. Medicine plants are there. These medicines cannot be found even in the kollimalai. Purathana temple is on the top. There is no statue there. Ponds : The way to the Hanuman Temple, outside the lower fort, abounds in temple ponds and many impressive structures. Chakkarakulam and chettikulam are the two famous ponds in this fort. Chettikulam was built by Raja shetty during the Maratha occupation of the place, towards the end of the 18th century. To the north of this pond is a platform believed to be Raja Desingh funeral pyre, where his young wife committed sati (self immolation).
The village of Koovagam is next to Ulundurpet taluk in Villupuram district. The Koothandavar temple is situated in this village. This is the only temple for eunuchs, and their family deity is the “Koothandavar”. A fifteen day Chitrai festival based on Mahabaratha is celebrated every year in grand style. According to the Mahabaratha, Rajakumaran, a eunuch was born to Arjuna and Naga Kannigai. The Pandavas, decided to sacrifice a human to ensure victory in the war and Rajakumaran was the sacrificial goat’. His last wish was to get married. No one came forward to marry Rajakumaran.
It is 16 km Northwest of Ulundurpet and 21 km East of Thirukkoilur. Hillock at the village contains a Jaina cave and two temples dedicated to Parsvanatha and Chanraprahha. Cave served as the monastery of the monks of Virasangha in the 8th - 9th century A.D. Rich collection of bronze images found in the temple. Annual festival (Jan-Feb) celebrated on a grand scale and attended by Jams from all over Tamilnadu.
The temple of Lord Ranganatha, the
tutelary god of Raja Desingh is on a hill top. It is a good specimen of
south Indian type of rock cut shrine. The idol of Lord Ranganatha, in
a reclining posture, measures 24 ft. in length which together with the
inner sanctorum, is carved out of a single rock. It is said to be bigger
than that of The idol in Srirangam.
It is 2 km north of Gingee town. The hillock on the western side of the road has two Jaina caverns and a huge boulder containing sculptures of all the 24 Theerthankaras in the 9th Century style. It is only place where all the 24 Theerthankaras are shown in a single large composition. An open rock nearby was the place where monk Chandranandi observed 57 days of fasting and died (5th- 6th century A.D).
In and around this village there are a number of petrified tree trunks called fossil wood. There is also an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, dating hack to the Chola period. Ph : 0413-2688949