Arcot was the headquarters of Nawab of Carnatic, who ruled this region in 18th century AD. The fort enclosing the Arcot town was on the bank of river Palar. It was built by Daud Khan, Nawab of Arcot. The fort was huge one and had a circumference of 8 km. The invasion of Tipusultan of Mysore resulted in the complete destruction of the fort. Arcot was the first Important fortified town captured (1751) by Robert Clive in the British-French struggle for South India.
The Central Jail, Vellore was established on 19.03.l867 with 160 convicts. It is the largest Jail in the dist. The prison has historical importance. Political leaders like former president Sri R.Venkat Raman. Dr. Aringer C.N. Anna Durai. Late Tr,V,V,Giri, late Tr. Kamaraj and Sri Vinoba Bhave were confined in this prison. Many prisoners sentenced to transpiration by the courts of this Presidency are retained when considered physically unfit for deportation to Andaman. The expenditure in the jail is recovered by the value of the Convict’s labor. There is a small sub tail attached to the central prison to accommodate the remand and under-trail prisoners of this dist.
This clock tower was erected in the memory of the coronation of king George V The tower is also dedicated to the 22 English soldiers who went to fight from this town during the 1st world war (1914 1919) . Out of this 14 British soldiers died in this war.
Church of’ South India
It comes tinder the churches of south India. It is one of the biggest church. The RCA (Reform Church of America) came to North Arcot District, and established the church . The church is nearly 150 years old. Previously this church was in the filter bed road, The British soldiers who died during the Sepoy Mutiny are buried in the vicinity of this church. The church is given authorization by the British Government to maintain this graveyard.
Jamanamarathur is the main village in Javvadu Hills which is famous for its sandalwood and fruits hearing trees. Nearby are the Beemanmadavu waterfalls in the thick reserve forest and the Kavalur observatory are located.
Amirthi Zoological Park
Amirthi zoological park is situated tinder the Javadu Hills of Tellai across Amirthi river which is 25 km away from vellore. This zoo logical park as started in the year 1967. The area of the park is 25 hectares and one can find beautiful water falls. There are also different kinds of birds and animals. Swings, Seesaw etc., are there for children to play. Numerous kinds of herbal plants and trees and sandal wood trees also grow here. The entrance fees is only Rs 2/- per head.
Located 920 m above sea level, amidst our mountains, these picturesque environs are a part of javvad hills of the Eastern Ghats. Several tribes inhabit the 14 small villages in the region and engage in agriculture, horticulture and forestry. Their unique lifestyle, customs and homes, as well as an exquisitely carved church, a quaint temple and a park for the tourists add to t he attractions of the place. Elagiri hill is also perfect or a short trekking holiday, July and August witness the annual murugan festival at the temple. Fruit, Herbal farm and Shrubs used in the production of ayurvedic medicines are available. Alternatively, if you Sic vacationing with kids, you can head to the children’s park or the mini Zoo. All in all, there is something for every tourist. Try and he there for the weekly holiday where the products of the hills are on display. Vacation at Elagiri this summer is vacation with a difference.
This is a multi purpose museum treasures the ancient and present day curios relating to anthropology art and archaeology, botany, geology, etc. The historical monuments of the erstwhile composite north arcot district are gracefully depicted in the galley.
Jalagambari Water falls
The trekroute from Elagiri Hills to Jalagambari Water falls at the down hill, lakes a couple of hours and is recommended for starters. Jalagampaarai waterfalls situated 17 km from Tirupattur is a fine picnic spot where the deity is in the form of VEL (a kind of spear). The Murugan temple attracts the tourists throughout the year.
It is well known for Its lake which is the biggest in this district. It was built by King Nandivarman III of Pallava dynasty (8th Century AD). The length of the bund is 8.35km
Madrazaye Mohammadiya Masjid
An other important monument of attraction is that of the Mosque of Nawab Chanda Sahib. It was built in 1750 AD. The entrance of the masjid is on the Northern side. At the top of the structure, provision is made for the speakers. On all the four sides of the structure it is decorated with arch shapes. It is constructed with brick and lime.
Melvisharani 16 km from Vellore on the way to Arcot. Melvisharam is famous for the mosque. During the reign of Arcot Nawab plenty of Muslims lived here. Situated amidst the natural surrounding this town is also famous for Abdul Hakim College and lie recently built Arabic college.
Mosque inside the Fort
The Mosque inside the fort is protected by the A.S.I. It was built in 1750 and constructed of granite stones with mortar, on three sides. At present it is not used for worship and the gates of the mosque are closed. It is rectangular in shape. The Hinud architecture slowly yielded place to the flourishing Muslim architecture which is evident in the form of innumerable mosque and palaces which are Indo-Saracenic style.
Muthu Mandabam was inaugurated on 11.07.1990 by the then Honorable M.Karunanidhi. Vikrama Raja Singhan, the last Tamil ruler to rule Randy (Sri Lanka) was originally named Kannuswamy. He belonged to the Nayak Dynasty of Madurai. The Britishers fought with him for 16 years from 1815 and Vikrama was arrested and imprisoned in the Vellore fort jail. He died in 1832. Only in 1983 his cemetery was found. In his memory the Muthu Mandabam was established here in Vellore. His samadhi was erected by his son,. A.Vikrama Raja Singham on 27.07.1832
The hilly area locally known as Pancha Pandava Malai in Vilapakkam was a flourishing Jaina center during the early medieval period as it is evident from the rock cut cave temple, natural caverns with Jaina figures and inscriptions. The rock cut cave temple is a large excavation on the eastern lace of the huge hill.
Vainu Bappu Observatory-Kavalur
The Vainu Bappu Observatory of the Indian Institute of Astrophysics traces its origin back to the year 1786 when William Petrie setup his private observatory at his garden house at Egmore, Madras, which eventually came to be known as the Madras Observatory. Later it was moved over to Kodaikanal and functioned there as the Kodaikanal Observatory since 1899. Location Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Department of Science & Technology Government of India, Kuvalur, Alangayam - 635701, Ph : 04174 265222, 265255
Vallimalai has been one of the important Jaina Centers during the early medieval period. The hilly area with fountains must have been very much favored by the Jaina monks. According to a Kannada inscription that natural cavern was converted into Jaina abode by prince Rajamalla of Western Ganga dynasty in about 10th century AD.