Vellore is a semi-rural bazaar town. For tourists, it is noteworthy only for the Vijayanagar fort and its temple, which are in an excellent state of preservation and worth visiting. The famous rivers Palar and Ponnar flow through this City. The town has a modern church built in an old British cemetery, which contains the tomb of a captain who died in 1799 during the campaign which ended in the defeat of Tipu Sultan. There is also a memorial to the victims of the little known ‘Vellore Mutiny’ of 1806. The mutiny was initiated by the second son of Tipu Sultan, who was in the fort at that time, and was put down by a task force sent from Arcot. Vellore is now best known for its hospital, one of the best in the country. The people come here from all over India for medical care give this humble town a cosmopolitan feels. The economic condition of the district in the earlier stages was not very sound in the absence of the major industries. Thanks to the sustained effort and Vigorous policy of the Govt. Industries like Bharat heavy Electricals Ltd Ranipet. Tamil Nadu Explosives Ltd. Katpadi, have been setup. Besides there has been marked growth of small scale industries and Tanneries in the district. This industrial activity has not only generated employment opportunities but also contributed. The recently introduced uzhavar Sandhai., for instance has benefited the rural poor giving much needed thrust to the economic. The innovative self help groups of woman are also playing a very useful role in building rural economy and helping rural women to be self reliant.
Arcot was the headquarters of Nawab of Carnatic, who ruled this region in 18th century AD. The fort enclosing the Arcot town was on the bank of river Palar. It was built by Daud Khan, Nawab of Arcot. The fort was huge one and had a circumference of 8 km. The invasion of Tipusultan of Mysore resulted in the complete destruction of the fort.
The Central Jail, Vellore was established on 19.03.l867 with 160 convicts. It is the largest Jail in the dist. The prison has historical importance. Political leaders like former president Sri R.Venkat Raman. Dr. Aringer C.N. Anna Durai. Late Tr,V,V,Giri, late Tr. Kamaraj and Sri Vinoba Bhave were confined in this prison. Many prisoners sentenced to transpiration by the courts of this Presidency are retained when considered physically unfit for deportation to Andaman. The expenditure in the jail is recovered by the value of the Convict’s labor.
This clock tower was erected in the memory of the coronation of king George V The tower is also dedicated to the 22 English soldiers who went to fight from this town during the 1st world war (1914 1919) .
Church of’ South India
It comes tinder the churches of south India. It is one of the biggest church. The RCA (Reform Church of America) came to North Arcot District, and established the church . The church is nearly 150 years old. Previously this church was in the filter bed road, The British soldiers who died during the Sepoy Mutiny are buried in the vicinity of this church.
Amirthi Zoological Park
Amirthi zoological park is situated tinder the Javadu Hills of Tellai across Amirthi river which is 25 km away from vellore. This zoo logical park as started in the year 1967. The area of the park is 25 hectares and one can find beautiful water falls. There are also different kinds of birds and animals.
Located 920 m above sea level, amidst our mountains, these picturesque environs are a part of javvad hills of the Eastern Ghats. Several tribes inhabit the 14 small villages in the region and engage in agriculture, horticulture and forestry. Their unique lifestyle, customs and homes, as well as an exquisitely carved church, a quaint temple and a park for the tourists add to t he attractions of the place. Elagiri hill is also perfect or a short trekking holiday, July and August witness the annual murugan festival at the temple. Fruit, Herbal farm and Shrubs used in the production of ayurvedic medicines are available. Alternatively, if you Sic vacationing with kids, you can head to the children’s park or the mini Zoo. All in all, there is something for every tourist.
This is a multi purpose museum treasures the ancient and present day curios relating to anthropology art and archaeology, botany, geology, etc. The historical monuments of the erstwhile composite north arcot district are gracefully depicted in the galley.
Jalagambari Water falls
The trekroute from Elagiri Hills to Jalagambari Water falls at the down hill, lakes a couple of hours and is recommended for starters. Jalagampaarai waterfalls situated 17 km from Tirupattur is a fine picnic spot where the deity is in the form of VEL (a kind of spear).
Madrazaye Mohammadiya Masjid
An other important monument of attraction is that of the Mosque of Nawab Chanda Sahib. It was built in 1750 AD. The entrance of the masjid is on the Northern side.
Melvisharani 16 km from Vellore on the way to Arcot. Melvisharam is famous for the mosque. During the reign of Arcot Nawab plenty of Muslims lived here.
Mosque inside the Fort
The Mosque inside the fort is protected by the A.S.I. It was built in 1750 and constructed of granite stones with mortar, on three sides. At present it is not used for worship and the gates of the mosque are closed. It is rectangular in shape.
Muthu Mandabam was inaugurated on 11.07.1990 by the then Honorable M.Karunanidhi. Vikrama Raja Singhan, the last Tamil ruler to rule Randy (Sri Lanka) was originally named Kannuswamy. He belonged to the Nayak Dynasty of Madurai. The Britishers fought with him for 16 years from 1815 and Vikrama was arrested and imprisoned in the Vellore fort jail.
The hilly area locally known as Pancha Pandava Malai in Vilapakkam was a flourishing Jaina center during the early medieval period as it is evident from the rock cut cave temple, natural caverns with Jaina figures and inscriptions.
Vainu Bappu Observatory-Kavalur
The Vainu Bappu Observatory of the Indian Institute of Astrophysics traces its origin back to the year 1786 when William Petrie setup his private observatory at his garden house at Egmore, Madras, which eventually came to be known as the Madras Observatory. Later it was moved over to Kodaikanal and functioned there as the Kodaikanal Observatory since 1899.
Vallimalai has been one of the important Jaina Centers during the early medieval period. The hilly area with fountains must have been very much favored by the Jaina monks.
Erukkampattu is a small village situated close to lie monuments at Vallimalai and Melpadi. The temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu is built on the lake bund. The god is enshrined here in the Sayana form of Ranganatha. The temple is assigned to the period of 9th century.
Jalakandeswarar Temple-Vellore Fort
The temple which had been built in the late Vijayanagar style, comprised of the main shrine and closed ambulatory passage around, and the integral Mahamantapa, with a northward projecting sub-shrine for Nataraja, containing also several other sub-shrines. The temple has two court yards, one is inner prakara and the other is outer prakara - The structures in the court yard on the outer prakara include the lofty Gopuram on the southern side which is the entry point to the temple. On the , South-West corner of outer court yard is the Kalyanamantapa which is the gem of architecture of I ate Vijayanagar style in embellishments and the art motifs of its pillars, ceilings and plinth mouldings, It stands as testimony for the architectural workmanship of that period.
Kailasagiri 10 km from Ambur, this place is anions for the Murugan temple situated on a small hill. Streams surround the temple area. One can see the ruins of the fort that are said to be there during the Nawab period.
Kanchanagiri Situated 7 km from Ranipet, Kanchanagiri is famous for the small Siva temple on a plateau surrounded by hills. One can see many suyambu lingams.
Sri Kangeeswarar temple is in Kangeyanallur village and was built during the time of the Chola rulers, as evidenced by the stone inscriptions. The temple dedicated to Lord Muruga was built some live hundred years ago and later on it was renovated by Sri Mallaiyadhas Bhagavadhar and Sri Thirumuruga Kirupanandha Varriyar, a popular exponent of Hindu Scriptures.
The village Mahendravadi owes its origin to Pallava Mahendra Varman I(AD 580-630). According to an inscription in Pallava grantha this case temple was excavated by Gunabhara on the bund of a large tank called Mahendra thataka in the city of Maheudrapura.
Melpadi is an important place being the border between Chola and Rashtrakuta kingdoms. It is a Pallippadai temple and seems to have been built over the mortal remains of Chola Arinjaya (AD 956-967) by his grandson Chola Raja Raja I in the year AD 1014.
The Presiding deity here is Sri Ranganathaswamy. The stone inscriptions of the temple reveal that it should have been built in 10th century prior to the regime of vikrama Chola.
Ratnagir 13 km from Vellore, Ratnagiri is famous for the Murugan temple situated on a small hillock. It is said that the temple was built in the 14th century AD, but renovations were made recently.
The famous temple dedicated to Sri Selva Vinayagar and Somasundareswarar has been attracting a large number of devotees from far and near A special feature of the shrine is that poojas and abishegams are performed ‘for Sri Selva Vinayagar in an open space around which the prakaram has been built.
Sholingur Famous for the Sri Yoga Lakshmi Narasimhar temple, situated on 750 ft. high hillock & 1305 stairs. There is also a Yoga Anjaneyar temple located on a 350 ft. high and 406 Stairs. Volunteers and devotees who visit the hill temple of Sholiugur on full moon day of every month to perform girivalam.
Thiruvurai alias Thakkolam is historically important as the battle-field where the Rashtrakutas and the Cholas fought in 949 A.D. during the time of Rajaditya. The stone inscriptions in the temple reveal that this temple should have been built during the time of Pallava dynasty and was later on improved upon by Chola Kings.
The presiding deity of this shrine is, Sri Vallanadheeswarar. Saint Thirugnana Sambandar has composed a Padhigam in praise of the deity. A unique feature of this shrine is that the Nandhi is not facing the Lord, hut facing tile opposite direction.
The village Tirumalpur is named after Tirumal (Lord Vishnu). The temple is of all-stone and assignable to 9th century AD based on architectural style and inscriptions of Parantaka Chola (AD 907-955). Though the temple is devoid of sculptures, it is engraved with a number of Tamil inscriptions belonging to the Chola period (10th to 13th century A.D).
The most sacred Siva Temple at Virinchipuram is popularly known as “Bhaskara Kshethiram” because the sun is said to worship the linga when its rays fall on it in the month of’ Panguni. The main shrine of the temple is said to have been built by Raja Raja Chola, Sambara Rayan, the viceroy of Kulothunga Chola. There are 5 prakaras in this temple, and there is lion faced sculpture, in the left side of the shrine.