Thoothukudi is one of the important district in Tamil Nadu,India. Major industries such as SPIC.
Chemical Industries, Heavy Water Plant and Thermal Plant are located here,
It is also called “Pearl City” in view of the pearl fishing
being conducted periodically. The city is also famous for the production
of salt. Sri Sankara Rameswarar Temple and one Sri Vaikundapathy Temple
built by the Pandya King Sankara Pandyan. Tuticorin became the citadel
of the freedom struggle in the early 20 Century in 1906. The great freedom
fighter of India, V.0. Chidambaram Pillai launched the first Swadeshi
ship “S.S.Gaelia” in British, India. The post independence
era in India witnessed planned and rapid economic development in all spheres.
Then the minor port of Tuticorin had a flourishing trade handling a variety
of cargoes meant for the neighboring countries of Sri Lanka, Maldives
etc., and the coastal regions of India.
From an Archaeological point of view, this place has a glorious past and it is located on the banks of river Tamirabarani. It is assumed that, in ancient times, a civilized habitation flourished here.
Bharathiar Math Mandapam
In memory of the National poet Subramania Bharathiar a memorial was built by Kalki Krishna Moorthy in 1945 and Mahatma Gandhi showered his blessings on the occasion of its opening. In 1981 the centenary year of Bharathiar was celebrated.
34 km from Thoothukudi. This is the birth place of Mahakavi Bharathiyar. A Memorial for Umarupulavar Dhansha is also located here. During the reign of Pandyas at Madurai people from Chandragiri near Chittoor of Andhra Pradesh were brought and posted as “watch keepers (Dhisai Kavalars) of Ilasanadu. This was later called Ettayapuram.
Kattabomman Memorial Fort
This was built in 1974. The visitors can see this during day time 8 am, to 1 p.m. & 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Family goddess Jackammal is located nearby. The snap shot is of the 5th generation heir of Veerapandya Kattabomman temple. His name is Vee. Veemaraja alias Jegaveera Pandya Subbramania Kattabomma Durai.
This small town is 24 km from Tirunelveli on NH7 Madurai road. Veerapandiaya Kattabomman who raised voice against British was hanged at a tamarind tree here on 16-10-1799.
Ayyanar Sunai It is 10 Km from Tiruchendur. A natural water spring in the desert with Ayyanar temple attracts local tourists.
Kazhugumalai It was one of the important centers of the Jams. The has-relief found here is the contribution of Jams and are among the earliest of such works. The Vettuvan Koil (Siva Temple) the rock-cut cave temple is worth visiting.
Korkai Port 29 Km from Tiruchendur. Korkai, the ancient Port City (12th Centaury) of the Pandya Kings of the .Sangam period, now identified with the village Korkai (Srivaikundam taluk of Thoothukudi Dt.) has attracted the attention of scholars, historians and archaeologists for more than a century. Although Korkai is recognized as an ancient Port City, it’s precise location is still a point of conjecture.
Manapadu 18 km. from Tiruchendur. It is on the sea-shore at the Bay of Bengal. An ancient Roman Catholic Church is here where the Cross is said to have been brought from Jerusalem, This Church is also associated with St. Xavier, the famous missionary from West.
Ottapidaram / V.0. Chidambaranar illam
Ottapidaram continues to be a Tourism centre for Freedom fighters, since it is the birth place of the great patriot V.O.Chidambaranar. His house has been converted into a memorial and is preserved by the government from 12-12-1961.
Panchalankurichi 18 km from Tuticorin. From here the great warrior “Veerapandiya Kattabomman” raised his voice against the British regime in the 17th Century A.D. The fort was converted as a memorial by the Govt. of Tamil Nadu in 1974. Sri Devi Jakkammal Temple, the hereditary Goddess of Kattabomman, is located near the fort.
Thiruchendur It is 40 km from Thoothukudi. Tiruchendur is very popular for the seashore temple of Lord, Subramanya temple tower and the sculptures of the temple are worth seeing. It is also ideal for see bathing. The temple is one among the six abodes of Lord Subramanya.