Idaikattur Church is the Sacred Heart Shrine Built with full of arts in Gothic architectural style on the model of the RHEIMS cathedral in France. All those beautiful statues were brought from France 110 Years hack to Idaikattur. The reason is that only in this shrine there are the Relics (things connected with)of 40 saints kept on the main altar. Secondly, there is a historical event which took place 110 years hack, when this Church was built those 9 choirs (hundreds) of angels appeared and solved a great problem. The Location of the shrine is 36 Km away from Maclurai on the way to Ramnad or Ranicshaaram main road.
The holy temple Kalaiyarkoil is in Sivaganga District. It is 18 km east of Sivaganga, 30 km west of Devakottai on the Devakottai Manamadurai Road and 66 km south East of Madurai Tondi Road. “Kalaiyarkoil” derived its name from the Kaleeswarar temple of the pl The temple of Kalaiyarkoil is a very large and handsome building surrounded by a strong stone-wall about 18 feet in height. Kalaiyarkoil has two Rajagopuram viz big and small one. There is a big Tank on the Southern side of the Temple.
He was born in Thiru Mukkudalpatti in Karaikudi. He was a great Lyricist. He raised the level of Tamil Film Songs to Himalayan Heights. The memorial was opened on 21-10-1992. Situated at Karaikudi - Opp. to new bus stand.
The Village Kandadevi situated 3 Km away from Devakottai Town. Here the Temple is culled as Arulmigu Sowarna Moortheeswarar alias Siragilinathar. The Amman is called as Periya Nayaki Amman. This is 350 years old Temple. The Temple is maintained by Sivaganga Devasthanam. It is here Hanuman told to Rama ‘Kanden Deviyai’. Hence this place is called as Kandadevi. The Aani Urchavam is very famous festival for this temple, which is celebrated every during the month of June by the people of 75 Villages.
Karaikudi (45 km.)
This small town is known for its magnificent mansions constructed by the Chettiars - a caste known as much for their prosperity as well as their hospitality. Though the owners of these palatial wonders have long scattered, having left for distant shore, the beautifully carved wood work as well as the stone and mortar work of these houses can still be appreciated. The Alagappa College founded by the late Dr Alagappa Chettiar has been upgraded now as a deemed University and is known as Alagappa University.
Arultharu Shanmuganathan Holy Temple is situated at 10 Km from Karaikudi, Sivaganga District. Built around the year 1000 in Lord Shanmuganathan is the presiding deity and the History is referred Mayuragiri Puranam. Marudhu Pandiyars Kings of Sivaganga renovated the Temple in their days. Important festivals include Thaipusam in January, Panguni Uthram in March. Thirukarthikai in November, and Kandha Shasti also in November Prayers in this temple bring relief from diseases and mental worries. The Devotees are blessed with good children.
They were not afraid of Britisher’s bullets and fought for the independence of our beloved country. The Maruthu brothers are the descendents of Sivaganga Velu Nachiar who ruled efficiently. For the sake of their citizens, they surrendered to the Britishers hiring 1801 and then hanged. Periya NI aruihu was born on 1748 and Chinna Nlaruthu was on 1753. Both ere hanged on 08-10-1801. Maruthupandiyar’s memorial is located in Swedish Mission Hospilal Campus. The memorial was opened for the visiting public on 21-10-1992.
Pillaiyarpatti temple is a rock - cut temple located about 12 km from Karaikudi on the Karaikudi Madurai road. It was built after hewing a hillock by the early Pandiya kings and the image of Karpaga Vinayaka and that of a Siva Linga were carved out of a stone by a sculptor called Ekkattur Koon Peruparanan who put his signature on a stone inscription is hound even today in the sanctum. He put his signature in Tamil Language which was in use between 2nd and 5th century AD. It can he concluded that the icon of Karpaga Vinayaka must have been carved around 4th century AD. This temple is 1,600 years old. The 14 stone inscriptions found in this temple. dated between 400 AD and 1238 AD reveal that the place was known as Ekkattur Thiruveengaikudi Maruthankudi Raja Narayanapuram before it came to be called Pillaiyarpatti. Ph : 04577-264240
Ilayankudi Mara Nayanar was one among 63 saivite saints. He was a farmer. Maranar was his name and lived here. He was a great devotee of Lord Siva and His devotees. He took greatest pleasure in serving them.
This is important out of 108 Vaishnava temples. The Alwar Ramanujar has visited and prayed God Sri Vishnu. The God’s name is “Swamiya Narayana Perumal The God is in live floors. This is also known as South Thiruppathi’. Each year. ‘Masi Magam Deepam is celebrated with pomp and enthusiasm here.
Thiruvenkadamudaiyan -Then Tirupathi
Dedicated to Lord Srinivasa Perumal, is a vast temple complex with a 100 year old history and referred to as “Then Tirupati’ and “ Ariyakkudi Thiruvenkadamudaiyan Temple This temple was built by Nattukkotai Nagarathars.