The Kingdom of Ramnad originally comprised of the territories of Ramnad, Sivaganga and Pudukottai of today. Regunatha Sethupathy alias Kilavan Sethupathy, the 7th King of Ramnad reigned between 1674 and 1710. Kilavan Sethupathy, came to know of the bravery and valour of Peria Oodaya Thevar of Nalukottai, 4 Kilometers from Sholapuram near Sivaganga.
Idaikattur Church is the Sacred Heart Shrine Built with full of arts in Gothic architectural style on the model of the RHEIMS cathedral in France. All those beautiful statues were brought from France 110 Years hack to Idaikattur. The reason is that only in this shrine there are the Relics (things connected with)of 40 saints kept on the main altar.
The holy temple Kalaiyarkoil is in Sivaganga District. It is 18 km east of Sivaganga, 30 km west of Devakottai on the Devakottai Manamadurai Road and 66 km south East of Madurai Tondi Road. “Kalaiyarkoil” derived its name from the Kaleeswarar temple of the pl The temple of Kalaiyarkoil is a very large and handsome building surrounded by a strong stone-wall about 18 feet in height.
The Village Kandadevi situated 3 Km away from Devakottai Town. Here the Temple is culled as Arulmigu Sowarna Moortheeswarar alias Siragilinathar. The Amman is called as Periya Nayaki Amman. This is 350 years old Temple. The Temple is maintained by Sivaganga Devasthanam. It is here Hanuman told to Rama ‘Kanden Deviyai’. Hence this place is called as Kandadevi.
Karaikudi (45 km.)
This small town is known for its magnificent mansions constructed by the Chettiars - a caste known as much for their prosperity as well as their hospitality. Though the owners of these palatial wonders have long scattered, having left for distant shore, the beautifully carved wood work as well as the stone and mortar work of these houses can still be appreciated.
Arultharu Shanmuganathan Holy Temple is situated at 10 Km from Karaikudi, Sivaganga District. Built around the year 1000 in Lord Shanmuganathan is the presiding deity and the History is referred Mayuragiri Puranam. Marudhu Pandiyars Kings of Sivaganga renovated the Temple in their days. Important festivals include Thaipusam in January, Panguni Uthram in March.
They were not afraid of Britisher’s bullets and fought for the independence of our beloved country. The Maruthu brothers are the descendents of Sivaganga Velu Nachiar who ruled efficiently. For the sake of their citizens, they surrendered to the Britishers hiring 1801 and then hanged. Periya NI aruihu was born on 1748 and Chinna Nlaruthu was on 1753.
Pillaiyarpatti temple is a rock - cut temple located about 12 km from Karaikudi on the Karaikudi Madurai road. It was built after hewing a hillock by the early Pandiya kings and the image of Karpaga Vinayaka and that of a Siva Linga were carved out of a stone by a sculptor called Ekkattur Koon Peruparanan who put his signature on a stone inscription is hound even today in the sanctum.
Ilayankudi Mara Nayanar was one among 63 saivite saints. He was a farmer. Maranar was his name and lived here. He was a great devotee of Lord Siva and His devotees.
This is important out of 108 Vaishnava temples. The Alwar Ramanujar has visited and prayed God Sri Vishnu. The God’s name is “Swamiya Narayana Perumal The God is in live floors.