Salem is also known as the Mango city in Tamil nadu. The name ‘Salem appeals to have been derived from Sela or Shalya by which the term refers to the country around the hills, as in the inscriptions. In 1947 Salem is an independent part of Free India. 1951 Exchange of Villages between Mysore and Madras State look place under the provinces and states (Absorption of Enclaves) order 1950. 1961 Sankari Taulk was formed from Trichengode Taulk. 1965 Salem District was bifurcated into salem Dhurmapuri District (2-10 1965), Salem constituted 8 Taulks Salem Attur Yercaud, Omalur Sankagiri, Tiruchengode, Rasipuram and Namakkal, Dharmapuri constituted 4 Taluks Hosur, Krishnagiri, Harur and Dharmapuri. 1966 Mettur Taluk was formed from Omalur Taluk and Salem constituted Nine taluks. 1989 Parmathivelore Taluk was newly formed. 1997 Salem District was bifurcated into Salem and Namakkal District (2- 2- 1997) Salem constituted 8 taluks - Salem, Yercttud, Attur, Omalur. Mettur, Sankagiri, Gangavalli, Idappadi and Namakkal district constituted 4 Taluks - Namakkal, Tiruchengode, Rasipuram and Paramathi Velur. 1998 Attur Division was newly formed and a new Taluk Valappadi was formed. Salem attained its present administrative setup. The city is also famous for Sago, Bauxite, Lorry Body building, Hand loom weaving and Steel Plants. Local tradition claims Salem as the birth place of Tamil poetess Avvaiyar. The town is surrounded by an amphitheatre of hills, the Nagarmalai in the north the Jeragamalai in the south, the Kanjanamalai on the west and Godumalai on the east. It is divided by the Thirumanimuthar in the main division.
The oldest mosque in Salem, situated on the southern bank of the Thirumanimuthu Aru in the heart of the city. It was reportedly built by the Mysore ruler, Tippu Sulthan, who is said to have offered prayers here.
Kailasanathar Kovil (Tharamangalam)
30 Km from Salem. A Siva temple, perhaps the most beautiful of its kind in Salem District. Parts of it existed as early as the tenth century: as it stands now, it is the product of the Gatti Mudhali dynasty of the seventeenth century. Reconstruction and collaboration of the old temple was begun by Mummudi, continued by Siyazhi, and was brought near completion by Vanangamudi. This West facing temple is enclosed by a massive stone wall measuring 306’ by 164’ reportedly built in the thirteenth century.
Lingam (108) Temple
This temple is under the control of a private department of the Vinaya Mission. This temple contains 108 Lingam with 108 Nandi in the ‘mulasthanam’. This temple is located in Ariyanoor.
One of the largest of its kind in the world. It was completed in 1934. The total length of the dam is 1700 meters. The Mettur Hydro Electrical power project is also quite large. The dam, the park, the major Hydro Electric power stations and hills on all sides make Mettur a good tourist attraction.
The Sankakiri Fort is one of the important historic places in Salem District. This fort has been constructed on the hill of Sankakiri. This fort has ten compound walls having individual name for that. Inside of this fort, there are 6 platforms and 5 Temples, 2 Mosques The Weapons Pistol and Jewels used by the emperor Tipu Sultan, Theeran Chinnamalai were found there.
This one of the famous and big temple is Salem. Many more historical monuments and sculptures are inside the temple.