40 km. from Pudukkottai. The Athmanathaswami temple situated here contains graceful life-size sculptures which are of absorbing interest. The car of this temple is renowned for its wood carvings. The temple is noted for zephyr (granite roof) work. The sanctum sanctorum is covered with copper plate and is similar to the Chidambaram Natarajar temple.
28 km. from Pudukkottai. The old chapel here was constructed in 1547 AD. by Fr, John Venantius Bouchet and the new Roman Catholic Church was constructed in 1747 A.D. Tamil Scholar Rev. Father Joseph Beschi (Veerama Munivar) also served in this Church. The Easter Passion play followed by Car Festival, takes place in summer which attracts people of all faiths.
Situated at Thirrukokarnam, the museum is at a distance of 5 km. from Pudukkottai railway Station. The wide range of collections in the Sections of Geology. Zoology, Paintings. Anthropology, Epigraphy, Historical records, etc. are very interesting. The fine Sculptures and bronzes of various periods are the attractive items of the Museum. Timings: 9 a.m to 5. p.m Entrance fee: Free. Holidays Friday Phone : 04322-236247.
30 km. from Pudukkottai. One of the Islamic Muslim centers, this is located on the Thirumayam Madurai Highway. Both Hindus and Muslims visit this place. Annual “Urs” takes place in the month of Rabiyul Ahir.
Manamelkudi is a village Panchayat in Avudaiyarkoil Taluk of Pudukkottai District with a population of 10072 as per 1991 census. It extended over an area of 1135.24 hector. It is situated along the Bay of Bengal and well connected by a major district, road leading form Aranthangi which is 43 km. away and passing through the Taluk headquarters Avudaiyarkoil which is 32 km. to the west.
Also known as Moovarkoil, it is 36 km. from Pudukkottai and 42 km from Tiruchirapalli. It was formerly the seat of Irukkuvelirs, who were related to the Cholas. Of the three shrines of Moovarkoil only two exist now. These temples were built by Boodhi Vikramakesari in the 10th Century A.D. The architecture of the temple is unique among south Indian temples. The sculptures of Kalarimurthi, Gajasamharamurthi Ardhanari. Gangadaramurthi etc. are interesting master pieces of art. Nearby is the Muchukundeswarar temple of the early Chola period.
The second largest town in Pudukkottai district after the headquarters. Aranthangi was the most populous locality in the south of the Thanjavur district till it was added to Pudukkottai. The main centre of attraction is a ruined fort.
The Siva temple here has some interesting inscriptions as well as beautiful sculptures. One of the inscriptions deals with the musical treatise of Mahendravarman Pallava and his experimentation with an eight-stringed instrument called Parivadini.
It is 10 km from Pudukkottai. A top a small mount is a Murugan temple. The tank water of the mount is considered to be holy.
It is a place of historical importance and the headquarters of the Mutharaiyar Chieftains. The earliest structural stone temple, circular in shape, built by the Mutharaiyars and the Vijayalaya Choleeswaram Cave temple built by Vijayalaya Chola, the first king of the later Cholas and Kadambarmalai temple of the place are also worth visiting. It is 17 km form Pudukkottai.
In this village are the remains of a 2nd century B.C. Jam cave temple. Fresco paintings reminiscent of Ajanta adorn the walls. Many of them are typical of the 9th century Pandyan period and include exquisitely detailed pictures of animals, fish, ducks, people gathering lotuses from a pond and two dancing figures. There are also inscriptions dating back to the 9th and 10th centuries. Fresco paintings from the 7th century can he seen on the ceiling of Ardhamandapam. There are many pre-historic burial sites around Sittannavasal and among the relics unearthed are burial urns, cists and Kungupatarai.
Thirumayam 19 km. from Pudukkottai. The Fort, the Siva and Vishnu temples are the tourist attractions here. The Fort played an important role in the history of Tondaiman rulers of Pudukkottai and the British. The erection of this 40 acre-wide Fort in 1687 A.D. is attributed to Sethupathi VijayaRagunatha Thevar, the Sethupathi of Ramanathapuram. On the hill there is a Rock Cut Siva temple with Music inscription and the relics of a Fort. At the foot of the hill also Vishnu and Siva Shrines are found. The Vishnu temple is one of the most complete and the largest Anantasayi groups in India. It is a natural Cavern which has heen changed into a shrine.
Sri Kokarneswarar Temple
The rock cut cave Temple of Sri Kokarneswarar Brahadambal at Thirukokarnam is of Mahendraverma Pallava’s period.
40 km. from Pudukkottai via Ponnamaravathi. The Nandi known as Nei Nandi in the Arulmighu Meenakshi Chokkeswarar Temple is very well known.Though made of black granite, it now shines like marble due to frequent abishekam with pure ghee. Another interesting feature is the absence of flies and ants inspite of the Nandi being showered with pure ghee every day. A large number of devotees flock daily to this temple.
The temple of Lord Subramanya at this place is on a hillock and is said to exist before 15th Century A.D. There is a peacock sanctuary. It is 30 km. from Tiruchirapalli and 40 km. from Pudukkottai. The principal idol is seated on a peacock with consorts on either side.
Adi Peoram Festival
Adi Pooram festival will be celebrated
in the month of July & August at Sri Kokarneswarar Brahadambal Temple
at Thirukokarnam and Manikkavasagar Festival at Avudayarkoil is celebrated
every year in a grand manner.