Nagapattinam is a unique District with all its historical and cultural significance. Nagapattinam is one of the constituents of chola mandalam, acclaimed as the most prominent among the ancient Tamil kingdoms. Its salient features more than anything else have contributed to the glory of the Cholamandalam. Coastal town Nagapattinam was the Headquarters of a region during period This region has been named after kshathiriya sigamani. One of the titles of Raja Raja Cholan. Nagapattinam is also known as ‘Cholakula Vallippatinam’. The heritage of the town is found in the Burmese historical text of 3rd century B.C. The same text gives evidences of a Budha vihar built by the great Ashoka. The Chinese Traveler Hiuen Tsuang Also mentioned the Budha vihar in his book. Nagappattinam is mentioned as Padarithitha in ancient Buddhist literature According to scholars ’avurithidal’ the name of the part of Nagapattinam might have been derived from the word Padarithitha is the nae of the fruit tree Nagapattinam referred only to Sri Lanka. Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka had close links with this town Nagapatinam. “Animangalam Copperplate” of Kulothungachola notes that “Ksiba Thera” (Bhuddhist Monk) Renovated the Buddhist temple in 6th century AD with the help of Buddhist monks of “naganadu”. The nagar annam vihar later came to be known as Nagapattinam District.
Nagore, as a pilgrim town has the Dargha of saint Hazrat Meeran Sultan Syed Shahabdul Hammeed [ Hazrat Mian]. He said “Islam preaches the fatherhood of God and brotherhood of Man “. He sent his disciples to work among the people and spread the message of Prophet Mohammed. He passed away in 1558 at the age of 68 and in Nagore dargha are the relics of this God-man. Khandoori festival is the anniversary celebrations and devotees from all over the world join the festivals to be blessed by Nagore Andavar.
Masilamani Nathar Temple
On the sea front, fighting a losing battle against the sea is the last monument in this village, Masilamani Nathar temple, built in 1305 by Mahaverma Kulasekara Pandiyan. The temple is partly eroded by the advancing sea.
Mayiladuthurai Used to be called Mayuram, situated on the banks of river Cauvery. Mayuranatha Swami temple, Parimala Ranganatha Swamy temple, Kasi Vishwanatha Swamy temple, Punukeeswarar temple. Vadhanyeswarar temple and Ayyarappar temple are some of the famous temples in Mayiladuthurai.
It is near Chidambaram has one of the most revered Shiva Temples of Tamilnadu. It is also home to the Saiva saint Tirugnanasambanda
Vaitheeswaran, Thaiyal Nayaki, Muthukumaraswamy (Shiva, Parvathi, Suhramanya Swamy) An ancient temple dedicated to Shiva - as Vaitheeswaran literally meaning the divine provider of cures. Adorned with imposing towers, Mandapams and pillars, this well visited shrine has been sung by the Saivite Saint Poets.
Tranquebar - Tharangabadi
Tranquebar is 35 Kilometers north of Nagapattinam abutting the Bay of Bengal. The Danes landed at this place in 1620 AD. It was already a pre-existing village, when the Danes landed. This is borne out by the temple on the seashore which is crumbling now due to the sea ingress. Maravarama Sundarapandian, a later Pandya King, constructed this temple called the Masilamani Natha temple in 1305 AD. The Danes constructed fortifications on the coast at Tranquebar. This was the only busy trade centre on the Coromandal coast for the Danes. This fort was a busy trade centre till 1845 AD when the Danes handed over the fort to the English.
A pristine beach has been developed to attract people. Main attractions are beach volleyball, Joyful catamaran rides, children’s amusement park and other recreational facilities.
Was the capital and port city of Cholas, also called as Kaveeripumpattinam, as the river Cauvery drains into the Bay of Bengal here only. Kovalan and Kannagi of the great epic Silappathikaram, written by Ilangovadigal, lived in this town.
Thillaiyadi Valliammai Memorial
She was born on 22-02-1898. As a patriot she fought the British to , get freedom in her young age, Even Gandhiji regarded her as the embodiment of freedom struggle and whose very presence invoked in one-self a patriotic fervor. She died on 22-02-1914. As a mark of respect her memorial was opened on 13-08-1971.
Kodiakkarai (Point Calimare)
Kodiakkarai (55Km) also called Point Calimere, is situated abutting the Paik Strait. Spread over an area of over 312.17 hectares, this Wild Life Sanctuary boasts of mammals like blue buck, spotted deer, wild beat semi wild ponies, bonnet macaque, water birds like flamingoes, ibises, herons, and spoonbills. Sea turtle, starred tortoise, vipers, marsh crocodiles, etc., are some of the reptiles. Fish, dolphins, dugong, sea lion, sea cow are occasionally found here.