Kanyakumari Place Fort and Museum
The Govt. Museum, situated on the Beach Road with collection of sculptured artifacts and crafts of South Indian temples is one of the ‘must see’ places are here.
India’s first wax museum is open to the public at Baywatch Water Theme park in Kanyakumari on Saturday 24th Dec. 2005. The museum, modeled on the lines of Madame Tussaud’s in London, is part of an attempt to attract national and international tourist to park. The park’s entry fee of Rs.200 per head would cover a visit to the wax museum, but a fee of Rs.20 would he charged for a visit to the museum alone.
Padmanabhapuram Palace Capital of Travancore until 1798 A.D. It is an ancient seat of Travancore rulers, situated at a distance of 37 Km from Kanyakumari. There is a palace inside the fort which covers an area of 6 acres. On display in this palace are many antiquities, including the armory of the royal families the Ramaswamy temple adjoining the palace, scenes from the Ramayana have been carved in 45 panels.
This is one of the old monuments in Tamilnadu. Built during the regime of King Marthanda Varma (1729- 1758 AD) this fort had a foundry for casting guns. The Dutchman, De Lennoy’s tomb inside this fort, carries an interesting legend. In 1741, King Marthanda Varma defeated the Dutch at Colachel. De Lennoy was taken as one of the 24 European prisioners hut soon became a trusted General of the King. Later trained the King’s soldiers in the European method of warfare. Tourists can visit this fort during daytime. 34 km from Kanniyakumari.
Vattakottai, a granite fort 6 km north-east of Kanyakumari cape, forms the terminal of a line of ramparts known as the South Tranvancore lines built by Marthanda Varma to serve as defence for Nanjil Nadu. It is rectangular in shape and covers an area of about three and a half acres. The fort is enclosed by walls 25 to 26 feet high, including the parapet, 29 feet thick at the front, 18 feet at the corners and 6 feet at the rear. The portion running into the area is the most strongly built under the orders of Dc Lannoy during the reign of Marthandavarma (1729-58).