Kanyakumari Church and Dargha
St. Xavier Church
St.Xavier an outstanding and
dedicated priest visited the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu from Goa. he
never missed the opportunity of visiting Kottar in Kanyakumari district
which was a celebrated commercial centre at that time. During his stay
at Kottar, he used to worship St. Mary in the small temple. He was popularly
known as “Valiya Pandaram” among the people of Kottar. While he
was at Kottar, he averted the invasion of Padagas on the people of Venad
which was appreciated by the king, who became closer to the Priest. In
recognition of Xavier’s services, the king allotted a land to him
for the purpose of constructing a catholic church at Kottar. There was
already a church in 1544 in the same place, where the St. Xavier’s
church stands now. The church records show that the church was built in
the year 1600 A.D. In the year 1865, the Church was enlarged and the shrine
of our lady was also renovated and vaulted over. In 1930, the church was
raised to the Status of a Cathedral.In 1955, the church was further extended
and the chapel of Our Lady was incorporated into the enlarged church.
Upakara Matha Koil (Alangara)
One of the Ancient Churches having 153 ft. height Tower and 8 ft. Golden Cross.
Peer Mohammed Dargha
There is a dargha named ‘Peer Mohammed Oliyullah Dargha’ at Thuckalay named after the great philosopher Moharned Appa, who was born in Tenkasi of Tirunelveli District. After spending sometime in spiritual put-suits in Peermedu of Kerala State he came and stayed at Thuckalay. Being a Tamil poet of great eminence, he wrote many books on philosophy. He had intimate relationship with the Kings of Chera dynasty. It is said that he laid foundation Stone for the Padmanabhapuram Granite Fort. The Anniversary of the great philosopher poet is celebrated every year on a grand scale on the full moon day in the month of Rajap. Both the people of Kerala and Tamil Nadu attend the celebrations on large numbers irrespective of their caste, creed arid religion.