Dindigul city is an important wholesale market for onion and groundnut. It has the network of inter-district roads connecting Coimbatore, Erode, Trichy, Karur, Madurai and Sivaganga District. Kodaikkanl a popular Summer Resort located at an altitude of 2133 meters in the Western Ghats is the “Princess of Hill Stations”. Peranai and Sirumalai are the two fine picnic spots of this district. There are four dams Viz, Palar Porandalar, Varathamanathi, Pabap Palar in Palani Taluk and Maruthanathi in Dindigul Taluk augment irrigation facilities to agricultural fields in this district. Nilakkottai town is famous for Brass Vessels, Jewellery and also famous for the growing and marketing of flowers and Grapes. Ottanschatram is a noted market centre for vegetables. It is also famous for the export of butter, manufactured in the nearby villages using cream separators. Batlagundu is an important market centre for tomato. Pattiveeranpatti in Vathalagundu Block is famous for Cardamom and Coffee enterprises. In past periods, Dindigul was famous for locks and leather goods in past limes.
Periya Nayagi Amman Temple
Periya Nayagi Amman temple is one of the important temples in Palani. It is one of the sub temples of Dhandayuthapani Swamy devastanam. During festis als. .season many people visit the temple. The temple architecture is itt unique Nayak style, with the Periya Nayagi Amman at the centre and other deities in the same row. There are lots of sculptures with excellent art work.
Sri Kottai Mariyamman Koil
It is more than 200 years old. The Mariamman idol is said to be installed by the army men of Tippu Sultan at the foot of the mountain. The temple is constructed in the shape of a square. There is a temple for Vetri Vinayaka at the South & Lord Muruga at the North of this temple.
Sri Kaalakatheeswarar Temple
Even though the temple is very old, it cattle into lime light during the period of Thirumalai. Naicker who renovated several temples in and at around Madurai. God Kaalakatheeswarar and goddess Gnanambika are the presiding deities here.
The Huge hill at Dindigul, if we see it from one angle, looks like Pillow (‘Dhindu’) and hence the City is known as Dindigul. On this at a height of 280 ft. in the year 1605 Madurai King ‘Muthu Krishna Naicker’ started the construction of this Fort. In 1623 to 1659 Mannar Thirumalai Naicker completed this.
Begambur Big Mosque
During the rule of Hydei Alt at Dindigul he constmctcd thtee Mosques - One for himself for Namay, 2nd for his soldiers underneath Rock Fort and 3rd in the south of Rock Fort for public and gave more grants for the maintenance and upkeep of the same.