John Anderson arrived in Madras as one of the many Scottish missionaries. He started the John Anderson General Assembly School in 1835, which later was christened the Madras Christian College and School and later was shifted to George Town. It is indeed ironical that this zestful educationalist is now remembered not for what he actually stood for; rather his name was given to the church situated in George Town where once the handsome buildings of the Madras Christian College stood.The church, attractive with its unique, slim, towering steeple reminds us of the fire that burnt in the heart of the enthusiast. Location: Broadway, Chennai - 600 108, Ph : 25351097.
Described in the British days as the ‘Noblest edifice in Hindustan’, St. Andrew’s Kirk, an almost two-century-old church, as S.Muthaiah, the eminent historian of Madras writes, is perhaps one of the ‘best examples of Georgian architecture in Asia. ‘W.T Munro describes the church in Madras ‘the most splendid church in Madras’. The name itself is suggestive of the Scottish connections the City had, or rather the Madras Presidency of the British days. In 1815 a Scot was even appointed minister in the Presidency of Madras. Considering such an extent of prominence, it was but natural for the Scots to build a church of their Location: Poonamalle High Rd, Egmore, Chennai - 600 008. Ph: 25611236, 25612608
Christ Church and Christ Church Schools with a long history of about a century and a half. Rev. Henry Taylor, Chaplain in the Service of East India Company, realizing the sad plight of the poor people in and around the Mount Road area, opened a large room for public worship in July 1842, which of course, marked the humble beginning of the Christ Church and the Schools. Arch Deacon Harper established two schools in the chapel compound in 1843 and these schools were then known as the Mount Road Male and Female Schools, which were reorganized and later named Christ Church Schools, located at Anna Salai, near Cosmopolitan Club, Chennai - 600 002. Ph: 28549786.
Avella Theresa Church
This church is the first Bishop House in Chennai. it was here, the first Bishop performed his duties. Later his office was changed to Mylapore. The Holy Mary of this Holy Church is Mother Avella Theresammal. The order of service is conducting by Roman Catholic system. Location: 5, Nungambakkam High Road, Chennai - 600 034. Ph: 28278788.
Chinnamalai (Little Mount) is another church, where, in a cave hewn out of a small mount, the Apostle St. Thomas lived and preached. It was from here that he leaped out through a small opening in order to escape from his assailants. An imprint found on the boulder on the other side of the cave is said to have been left by him. There is also a well with a natural spring gushing out water. During the turn of this century a circular church was constructed in this holy spot. Situated near Saidapet bridge, Saidapet, Chennai - 600 015.
Santhome Cathedral Basilica
Further down south on Marina is the Santhome Cathedral Basilica. According to the legends, one of the Apostles of Jesus Christ - St. Thomas, in his mission to spread Christianity in Asia, came to Chennai soon after Jesus was crucified. He lived and preached in St.Thomas Mount. This Cathedral has been built on his burial site. ‘ 24, Santhome High Road, Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004, Ph : 24985455.
Seventh-Day Adventist Church
The seventh I, day Adventist the worldwide organisation. It’s order of the service is entirely different from the other churches like CSI and Roman Catholic etc. This church is conducting services on every Saturday, so its called as 7th Day. A Higher Secondary school is currently functioning under this church’s control. This school also link with worldwide network of ‘Seventh Day Adventist’. Location: Ritherdon Road, Vepery, Chennai - 600 007. Ph : 26412618.
St. George’s Cathedral
This Cathedral which is 188 years old is remarkable for its splendid architectural beauty. Built in 1815 with a 45m spire and elegant Ionic columns of brick and chunam, it is of special historic interest for the several fine memorial tablets remembering such outstanding men as Bishop Caldwell the eminent philologist, Bishop Heber, ardent missionary, Dr. Corrie, first Anglican bishop of Chennai, Dr. Anderson, the famous doctor who introduced silk manufacture in Chennai and William Parry and John Binny, merchant entrepreneurs whose names are still remembered in the city’s oldest business establishments. Unusual too, is the adjacent graveyard with its unique guard rail made up of musket barrels, bayonets and spikes taken at the capture of Srirangapatnam in 1799. Location: 224, Cathedral Road, Chennai-600 086. Ph 28112740
St. Mary’s Church-Fort St. George
St. Mary’s Church, the first Anglican Church in India, was constructed in 1680. It was here that the marriages of the then Governor of Madras Elihu Yale- the one who established the Yale University in USA - and Robert Clive were solemnized. The tomb stones found in Its courtyard are the oldest British tomb stones in India. Port St. George, Kamaraj Road, (South line beach), Chennai - 600 009.
This church is dedicated
to our lady of Health, the Madonna of Velankanni. Though much smaller
than the original church at Velankanni, this church at Elliot’s
Beach still attracts swarms of pilgrims who have implicit faith
in the miraculous healing of the Madonna. Besant Nagar, Chennai
-600 090. Ph 24911246.
Tamil Nadu Information | Chennai | Trichy India | Kodaikanal India | Madurai | Kanchipuram | Ooty India
| India Temples | India Tour Packages | Port Blair Tour Packages | Havelock Island Tourism Packages | Andaman Tourism Package | Lakshadweep Tourism Package | Munnar Tourism Packages | Ooty Tour Packages | Kanyakumari Tourism | Pondicherry Tourism | Srirangam Temple