Contribution of Asoka to Buddhism
Asoke did a great service
in spreading Buddhism. He made it a world religion. He undertook a tour
for two years with the Buddhist monk Upagupta or Tissa. He became an ardent
follower of Buddhism. He decided to guide the people on the basic principles
of Buddhism. Asoka’s services of Emperor Constantine of Rome to
2. He built stupas and viharas in memory of Buddha. These viharas in later ages become monasteries of the Buddhist monks.
3. He built several monasteries where the monks could study the Buddhist scriptures and lead a life of quiet meditation.
4. Asoka visited all the holly places in our country associated with the life of Buddha. He also introduced the system of royal tours.
5. He sent monks to preach Buddha’s doctrines and spread his teachings in far off countries like Mesopotamia, Syria, Egypt, Tibet, China and Burma.
6. He also appointed officials called Dharamayukthas and Dharma Mahamatras who supervised and encouraged people to lead a pure and moral life.
7. He sent his son mahendra and his daughter Sangamitra to Sri Lanka to preach Bddhism.
8. Form the edicts we know that Asoka named himself as Devenampriya (beloved of the God) and Priyadarshan (pleasing appearance).
Tamil Nadu Information | Chennai | Srirangam India | Trichy India | Kodaikanal India | Madurai | Thanjavur | Kanyakumari | Kanchipuram | Ooty India
Port Blair Tour Packages | Havelock Island Tourism Packages | Andaman Tourism Package | Lakshadweep Tourism Package | Munnar Tourism Packages | Ootacamund Tour Packages